Friday, November 7, 2014

Butternut Squash Soup



"If you hate vegetables but love dessert, just make your vegetables taste like dessert."

                                           -Me 
                                                                            (I just made that up)


After having the Butternut Squash Soup at Blue Lemon a month or so ago, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. It tasted liked dessert and I loved it. So I found this copycat recipe from the blog Favorite Family Recipes and thought it was pretty good. 



Their picture is a lot fancier than mine. They probably don't use their iPhone like I do.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ginger (freshly grated is best!)
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup apple cider
  • 8 cups butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cubes (about 2 lbs butternut squash)
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 1-2 cups heavy cream
  • Croutons and chopped pecans, optional

My first time ever cutting up a butternut squash.




In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and spices to melted better and stir for 1 minute. Add chicken stock and apple cider. Bring to a boil.


Add squash and carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 


Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until squash and carrots can easily be poked with a fork. Check liquid in the pot while simmering. Add more chicken stock if necessary.


Pour all the contents of the pot into a blender. Puree until mixture is smooth. Blend in 1 cup of heavy cream. Gradually add more until the mixture reaches the consistency of a creamy soup. 

I don't have a blender so I used my magic bullet and had to puree the soup in two small batches.


Pour the contents of blender back into the pot and keep warm until ready to serve.


After serving soup into individual bowls, garnish with croutons and chopped pecans. 

I added whipped cream because I really wanted to make this vegetable taste as much like dessert as possible. Pretty darn close.








No comments:

Post a Comment