Thursday, November 13, 2014

Dijon Maple Green Beans


I've been wanting to make this recipe ever since I saw it on Pinterest. It's from a blog called Carlsbad Cravings and it looked amazing. Dijon Maple Green Beans with caramelized pecans, bacon, and feta. Dang.



So this recipe called for a shallot. I had never really heard of shallots before this recipe. While I was at the grocery store buying ingredients I actually looked up images of them on my phone so I'd know what to look for. I guess it's like a cross between garlic and onion.


Also, I should have remembered how much I struggle with chopping onions. Especially red onions. They get me ever time. Well, I found something even worse…the freaking shallot.


I started watering up immediately and thought it was kind of funny. Then it just kept getting progressively worse and less funny.




That's when I decided we had enough shallots and that I was done chopping them. I've nicknamed the shallot "the devil onion."

I had a few extra helpers in the kitchen with me tonight. Austin, my brother, with the bacon.


I told him to smile...


And his girlfriend Katie, who basically cooked the green beans and brought over her delicious lemon-garlic-honey chicken. We also had Michael Buble join us for the evening.


I mostly just took pictures. 


And videos…


                                            Austin: I dare you to eat that.
                                            Katie: No.
                                            Austin: Do it.
                                            Katie: No!
                                            Austin: Garlic, shallots, and butter? Delicious.
                                            Katie: You're not the boss of me!

We FaceTimed the parents and showed them our fine work. They were thoroughly impressed.



It wasn't until like my last two bites of the delicious veggies that I gasped, "We forgot to add the pecans!" Oh well, next time. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment