Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Caramelized Butternut Squash


Ok, I've been wanting to try a butternut squash recipe for a while now. I don't know why, probably because it's fall and I feel like I see pumpkins and squash everywhere. So for my first attempt at butternut squash I tried caramelized butternut squash. This recipe came from a cute blog called Sweet and Savory by Shinee.

It wasn't too difficult and tasted pretty great. 


All you need is:

• 10 cups (3lbs) butternut squash, cube
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• ¼ cup brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon all spice
• ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)

I totally cheated and bought pre-cut butternut squash, even though I have a whole squash sitting on my kitchen counter… oops. Anyway, spread the chunks out on a baking dish and mix up all the ingredients except for the walnuts. My sauce/mixture thing was clumpy and I didn't know if that was a bad thing or not… but I just kept going. 


Pour the mixture over the squash and mix it all around. Then put it in the oven at 400 degrees F and set the timer for 45 minutes. Here's me hoping it will turn out right. 


Every 10 minutes stir it up. 


Then add the walnuts the last 10 minutes. 


My squash came out looking like this.


Then I did it. I ate a vegetable. And I liked it. 



Close up shot.



This is my brother Austin and his girlfriend Katie enjoying the fancy butternut squash I made. 








No comments:

Post a Comment